To explain District policy on travel expenditures
This Policy applies to all Directors and members and any person being sponsored by the District.
The Mokelumne Hill Fire Protection District recognizes the necessity for its board members and employees to travel to conduct business, training, or attend meetings. This document is intended to clarify the District's responsibilities and to provide guidelines to its members and Directors.
- The Fire Chief shall pre-approve any travel or expense related to Fire Department Member travel whenever possible.
- The request should be made in writing, dated and signed by the parties making such a request.
- Under normal conditions those expenses should be budgeted.
- For non-budgeted travel the Fire Chief or his/her designee shall have the authority to approve or deny any request made.
- Each request should include cost of transportation, hotel, meals, vehicle rental, parking and incidentals.
- If the person wants to travel by his/her personal vehicle they must receive pre-approval by the Fire Chief. Any personal vehicle used for such travel shall be legally registered and insured by its owner.
- If the distance travel is greater than 700 miles round trip, it is expected that the employee will travel by air. However if the employee wants to use her/his own vehicle they may do so with the approval of the Fire Chief. Such vehicle must be legally registered and insured. Unless other arrangements are made the employee will only receive payment for expenses equal to the lesser cost for traveling.
- For meetings that begin before 9 am the District will allow the employee to travel the night before if the distance is greater than 100 miles.
- If there are any questions about what expenses are covered the traveling member must get approval from the Fire Chief prior to incurring the expense.
- Reimbursement for traveling by personal vehicle will be at the standard IRS mileage rate.
- Per Diem - $46.00 per day for meals for one-day travel or more. For less then one day travel, meal expense compensation shall be $8.00 for breakfast $12.00 lunch, $ 20.00 for dinner and $6.00 incidentals. This per diem shall not include the purchase of alcoholic beverages or tobacco.
- Employees will have a choice to either be paid up front the per diem rate prior to leaving or be paid back for actual expenditures based on receipts up to the per diem rate listed in 11.
- A request for use of the District’s credit card may be made to the Fire Chief. Receipts for all credit purchases must be retained and submitted to the Fire Chief at the conclusion of travel. Any credit card purchase not justified by a printed receipt shall be paid by the traveling member.